Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pieces of Me


This morning I woke up to an entire city covered in snow. Not a little bit of snow, a lot-a-bit of snow. According to the radio, just under three inches of snow. I had a doctor's appointment this morning, so I left really early because I figured the roads would be a mess and my doctor is in Milan so I take mostly back roads to get there. I know that everyone around me was probably grumbling about their commute and how it was snowy and slippery and people didn't know how to drive and everything else that you always hear when we get a lot of snow in a short period of time, but all I could think was how beautiful everything was. I was driving at the breakneck speed of 35 mph, but it didn't matter. It was beautiful out. Everything was covered in white, the trees were sagging slightly from the snow that had settled in the branches and everything was so quiet. I was just....I was happy. At about 7:52 this morning, I smiled to myself and thought "Life is good". Sure, that attitude didn't last long because I eventually went to work, but for that 40 minute commute this morning, life was good and everything was beautiful and the world was peaceful.

When I got to the office, which is in a shiny pretty new building now, I was checking in and I could see one of the walls back in the hallway to the exam rooms. Currently, if you were to go into that office, when you open the door from the waiting room into the exam areas, you are greeted by a smiling Santa face made from felt and google eyes with a big yarn beard. My grandma made that. Her doctor was part of the same practice, and she gave him the Santa about 8 years ago, and he still hangs it up every year. So, unexpectedly, my grandma greeted me this morning. She died two years ago, and there are days when I miss her a lot, but it seems like I'm always finding pieces of her everywhere, even in places I don't expect to find her. I hope some day, when I'm gone, there are pieces of me (not literal pieces BOBBIE!) everywhere so that I can unexpectedly greet my loved ones and make them as happy as I was this morning.

So today you get a break from my usual ranting or smart assed commentary. Today life is good. Today I am happy.

4 comments:

Dune said...

I felt the same way when I was driving home from work last night at midnight...everything was so white and soft. And for the 1st time this season, I turned the radio up and sang along w/ Christmas carols instead of changing the station. :)

Very cool that your dr. still puts up your Grandma's Santa...I love that feeling of unexpectedly seeing something that reminds you of a loved one who has passed!

Anonymous said...

I love rare days like that when, no matter how crappy things might be, everything seems peaceful anyway. They are a wonderful reminder that we can always appreciate the little beauties in life, even during difficult times. Love that you're able to cherish memories of Grandma, too. My Grandma sneaks up on me sometimes too, nearly 6 years after her passing, and those little reminders are very dear to me.

Thinking of you today! Enjoy the snow! (I'm a tiny bit jealous, but it's 65 here today, so that's kinda nice too...)

*hugs*

Mark said...

Great story.

Unknown said...

Dammit! You would make a great confetti.