Sunday, July 13, 2008

T-Minus 5 Days and Counting

For those of you who are new to the insanity that is my life, there is something very specific that you need to know. I am addicted to movies. It's almost a sickness. I don't want to imply that I'm a movie critic, because I'm not, I just LOVE to watch movies. Good movies, bad movies, it doesn't matter. I would go to a different movie every day if I had the funds, and wouldn't run out of films to go see after a while. I asked for movie gift cards for Christmas, and almost nothing else. I ended up getting about $150 in gift cards and am still exhausting those because I'm amazingly clever and frugal with my gift card spending, which is fabulous. I literally use Entertainment Weekly like it's a freaking bible.

Thou shalt worship thy EW Magazine and pay tithings to the Entertainment Gods.

I sit down every year when the summer movie preview and the fall movie preview issues come out and plan out what movies I have to see, which I would like to see, which I can do without seeing etc. Pathetic? Absolutely, but my life borders on pathetic most of the time so I'm not concerned.

So, given my love of movies, one could probably understand why I'm counting down to this Friday when the newest installment in the Batman franchise will be released to eager fans across the country. The Dark Knight is sure to be the blockbuster film of the summer, and with the reviews it's been getting, it's unlikely to disappoint fans. I adored Christopher Nolan's first installment, Batman Begins, and I've been waiting for the latest installment since they first began filming it. The whole thing is going to have a note of sadness to it due to the death of Heath Ledger earlier this year, and I have to say that from watching the trailers, I've found myself regretting that Heath is no longer around because the performance looks amazing.

But, the release of this film is bittersweet for me, because it marks what is essentially the end of my Summer Movie Frenzie. There is almost nothing noteworthy coming out from now until November, which makes me really sad. But, there is Harry Potter to look forward to in November, which is exciting. Part of me is glad that nothing great is coming out until November because I'll be devoting so much time to school in the fall, but another part of me is sad that I don't have anything to look forward to as a break from the crappiness of studying. I'll probably be much happier and look forward to things more once I get a Harry Potter trailer, because that will give me something to be excited about. But, until then, I'll be salivating in anticipation of The Dark Knight, and I'll be at the theater on Friday the minute I get off work, so at 4:30 all of my anticipation will be rewarded. And I may squee myself.

No comments: